Friday, April 4

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer has spoken to Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni about the approach to US tariffs, saying they agreed an “all-out trade war would be extremely damaging”.

It came as Chinese officials said they would retaliate over US President Donald Trump’s tariffs with additional imposts of 34 per cent on US goods, escalating a trade war that has rattled investors and fed fears of a recession.

In separate calls, the United Kingdom leader said it had been “clear for a long time that like-minded countries must maintain strong relationships and dialogue to ensure our mutual security and maintain economic stability,” a spokesperson from his office said in a statement.

“They all agreed that an all-out trade war would be extremely damaging and is in nobody’s interests, while agreeing to keep in close contact in the coming days.”

Issuing a readout of the separate discussions on Friday, a Downing Street spokesperson said Starmer “has been clear the UK’s response will be guided by the national interest” and officials will “calmly continue with our preparatory work, rather than rush to retaliate”.

“He discussed this approach with both leaders, acknowledging that while the global economic landscape has shifted this week, it has been clear for a long time that like-minded countries must maintain strong relationships and dialogue to ensure our mutual security and maintain economic stability,” the spokesperson added.

with PA

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version