Wednesday, May 20

Sean “Diddy” Combs has arrived in court for a hearing over his bid to set aside a jury’s verdict finding the hip-hop mogul guilty on prostitution charges but clearing him of more serious counts of sex trafficking and racketeering.

Combs, 55, faces up to 20 years in prison if the July 2 conviction stands.

Jurors found he paid male escorts to travel across state lines to have sex with his girlfriends while he filmed and masturbated.

He had pleaded not guilty to all of the charges, which could have landed him in prison for life.

As he entered US District Judge Arun Subramanian’s court room in Manhattan, Combs smiled, hugged his lawyers, and waved at his family seated in the audience.

WA’s biggest courts and crime stories to your inbox

Sign-up to our weekly newsletter for free

Sign up

Subramanian has not said when he will rule on Combs’ motion.

Combs’ lawyers urged the judge in a July 30 court filing to set aside the verdict because Combs did not himself have sex with the prostitutes or his girlfriends during the days-long, drug-fuelled sex marathons sometimes known as “Freak Offs”.

They also argued that Combs was filming the encounters as “amateur pornography,” which they called protected speech under the US Constitution’s First Amendment.

Prosecutors with the Manhattan US Attorney’s office said in an August 20 filing that Combs need not have personally taken part in the sex acts to be convicted, since he helped arrange for the male escorts to travel.

They said he used the films as blackmail by threatening to release them if his girlfriends stopped taking part in the encounters.

Combs was arrested on sex trafficking charges on September 16, 2024, and has since been held at the Metropolitan Detention Centre in Brooklyn.

During his two-month trial earlier this year, prosecutors said he coerced two former girlfriends into the sexual performances.

Both women – rhythm and blues singer Casandra Ventura, known as Cassie, and a woman known by the pseudonym Jane – testified that Combs physically attacked them and threatened to cut off financial support if they refused to participate in the sex performances.

Combs’ lawyers acknowledged the physical attacks, but argued there was no direct link between what they called domestic violence and the women’s participation in the Freak Offs.

They also said Ventura and Jane consented to the encounters because they loved Combs and wanted to make him happy.

At the hearing, prosecutors and defence lawyers will each be given 20 minutes to present their arguments.

Subramanian asked lawyers for both sides to address whether Combs should have raised his First Amendment argument earlier.

Combs is scheduled to be sentenced on October 3, should Subramanian uphold his conviction.

In a court filing earlier this week, his lawyers suggested a 14-month sentence.

That would see him released soon, as he would be credited for the time he has already spent in jail.

Prosecutors are due to file their own sentencing recommendation on September 29.

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version